Wednesday, August 8, 2012

How Peculiar are We?


Over the last few days, we have noticed a growing number of Hasidic Jewish families present at the resort.  It is kind of hard not to notice as men walk about black trousers, white shirts with black suit coats or long black overcoats and distinctive hats; locks of curled hair fall from the sides of their heads from under their hats while prayer shawls dangle from under their coats.  Children in tow, women in long skirts and heads covered or at least hair pulled back.   Young boys emulate their father’s haircuts but less stringent polo shirts are worn. 

It was close to sunset when I decided to take a walk around the resort where we are staying and as I happened upon a parking lot there were quite a few cars and minivans rushing into the parking lot spaces and then families quickly hopping out and running for a building up in what would be the “ski village” during the winter months.  Apparently, they were a little late or rather right on time for an event that they might have done better to have given themselves a bit more time to arrive for.  I was curious but that was where my intrusion came to an end.  I walked along I started to think about their peculiar ways in light of today’s culture.   I don’t mean to use the word peculiar in the manner that some thing of as “odd” but rather different. 

I recollect a book I read in seminary, Rodney Clapp, A Peculiar People.   In this book, Clapp asserts that Christians and the Church shouldn’t co-opt into the dominant culture, but rather should live by distinctly Christian values as an alternative to the dominant culture.  It is a kind of interesting question, how peculiar are we as followers of Christ? 

When I think of Christians who are “peculiar,” the Amish of the Lancaster area come to mind.    They have for the most part shunned any form of modern technology:  horse and buggy, homes with no electricity, plain clothing and all.  They are hard not to notice them when you run into them, much like our resort with Hasidic families.  The witness of the Amish communities faith  was evident in the shooting at the school house in October 2006.  The horrific the act of the shooter was met in a peculiar fashion, rather than revenge, the community expressed forgiveness even to the point of visiting the shooter's wife to offer their condolences in her loss.  Clothing isn’t the only thing that expresses a peculiar people, the expression of their faith was peculiar to the dominant culture.  Wow, what a witness!

As I walked along from that parking lot, I was thankful that I don’t have to dress in black or curl my side burns (a rather difficult task I imagine.)  I am equally thankful for electricity, my mode of transportation.   I’m thankful that for the most part the Christian faith attempts to move from following the letter of the law and move in the direction of Jeremiah 31.31 to having the law written in our hearts.  And yet, I am also reminded of the words from 1 Peter 2:9 that “You are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.” and as such we should strive to be more peculiar, Rodney Clapp’s “peculiar” that is…

If we look just like everything (everyone) else out there, haven’t we just domesticated God into our cultural reality? OUCH!  As I think about the church 'beyond the walls" it has to be somewhat distinguishable from the world in which it exists...  If this relationship we have with God is our most important, life-changing reality, shouldn't it be noticeable to others?   

How peculiar are you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment