Wednesday, August 1, 2012

And So our Journey begins ... Disconnecting...

Today is the first day of our ( Mount Zion and my ) Sabbath leave.  My last email that I sent last evening was timed at 1146pm .   I was trying to catch up on the list of things to do but unfortunately I didn't get everything done. Thankfully, there are some amazing people at Mount Zion who are willing to pick up my unfinished work and take it over and see the uncompleted tasks to completion.  I guess I should feel guilty but in actually fact, I am kind of releived. I trust the staff and the members of Mount Zion.  They will do great and wonderful things.  At least I don't have delusions of grandeur that nothing can happen unless I'm present, eh?

I'm officially "Electronically Disconnected" from the church.  Prior to leaving the office I set up a voice mail message on my church extension babbling something about leaving the office and returning on November 1st.  The last thing I did last night was to remove the automatic downloading of my email from my verizon account to my laptop, I know that I'm not disciplined enough to not look at email that might happen to "pop up" on my Outlook   If you send me an email to my verizon account then you will get a  message back promptly informing you to "Remember the Sabbath Day and Keep it Holy ( I really wanted to put "Wholly" in honor of Marva Dawn who wrote a great book by the same title but feared that someone might take offense and what might be read as a misquote of the bible.  Seriously, folks?)  Folk are also prompted that in the event of an emergency you should contact Barb Jacques (who I'm sure will be "blessing me" for the message but then again who uses email for an emergency anyways?)  If push came to shove, I could still go online to view emails that would be too much work, besides, I don't like the verizon interface for responding to email.  Folks that know me are probably asking about my cellphone (which I used to answer a load of church business emails already) to which I say that it died two weeks ago while at West River (being without my cellphone for the rest of the week was pretty tramatic in and of itself.)   When I returned from camp, I got a loaner phone until my replacement phone which arrived later the next week)   I never got about to loading the verizon email preferences  on my replacement phone, so in actually fact, I've been running at reduced email capabilities for a while.  Suffice it to say, I am completely disconnected from the church for official business.

I've been debating about Facebook but I also stay connected with much of my family on that medium and besides, as Brittany asked, "what would you do Dad if you didn't play Words with Friends."  I'll just use my mobile app, thank you very much!  I think that most folks will respect the forum for social conversations and not business. 

Today I'm working up a calendar for the next week or two.  I'm heading down to the ocean ("downey oshin hon") early Friday morning and staying through Saturday evening, just gonna stare at the ocean for a couple of days, see a sun rise, and set and such...pray for good weather cause I'm going to stay down in the National or State Park, tenting it overnight.  I found the following cartoon that might just be me by the end of the second day.  

When I return, we are heading up to New England for the family vacation next week, going to enjoy the cooler New England. 

My "I've got to be doing something..." is kicking in and so I'm also working on that list of things to do.   I've checked out the www.simplyway.org but their website was under construction but they had a twitter feed up out in Google land and there were a few points of contact as well as interesting YouTube videos.   Seeing as I'm heading up to Mt Gretna the 17/18, might see about swing by Philadelphia if I can get someone to talk to about their ministry , urban monsasticism... Might also check into Eastern University that arranges what appears to be internships or support for the ministry going on there.    If you have an idea about how the church exists beyond the wall of the church send me a point of contact and some information about it and I'll see if I can look into it.  Heading across country in October so would like to have things across country to check out too, so suggest away...

Will follow up after the shore folks ...

No comments:

Post a Comment